Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Heartbeat Reassurance

We (me, hubby and baby alien) had a Doctor’s appointment yesterday and got to hear the little alien’s heartbeat. It was pretty exciting and reassuring. Besides that, the appointment was pretty normal. I pee’d in a cup and then had to get on the scale. I was dreading the scale as I kept waking myself up the night before with thoughts of being fat and having gained 10 pounds in 15 weeks. Not that reality is much better, I have gained 7. The doc says that 8 pounds is normal for where I am. I think it is just bugging me so much since I worked so hard to lose 20 pounds last year. I just have to let it go and know that I am gaining for a good reason. I was very excited that I didn’t have to give any blood. There is this girl at the lab that I am deathly afraid of. We had a few run-ins that consisted of her poking me with a needle then twisting and turning it around while in my arm, trying to find a vein.

I feel like my appointment was a success and just a day later it helped me feel like a confident pregnant women, rather then the scared and insecure one that I started out as. I spent the first 3 months totally freaked out. I guess since I didn’t expect to get pregnant so fast I hadn’t really prepared myself to what it was going to be like. I also hadn’t realized how freaked out I would be that my chances of losing this baby or something going wrong were high. I had never really considered that being 35 would make me so at-risk. I just figured that when I was ready to have a baby, hopefully everything would still work, and we would have a baby. But instead I have been bombarded with tests that I could take, the risk of Downs Syndrome and Trimsomy 18, and total fear over the mojito’s I drank in NY before I knew I was knocked up. Like I mentioned before, I really didn’t think I would get pregnant so fast and especially not on the first time out! I really thought my boobs were sore that weekend because I was getting my period. I even packed tampons! Fortunately, with every good appointment we have and every good test result that we get back, it helps me breathe a little easier and relax a little bit more.

No comments: