Friday, February 18, 2005

I am not fat....just pregnant

I finally told my boss today that I am pregnant.

It was much easier and less uncomfortable then I thought it would be.
It was made so much easier by the fact that when I sat down for my 1-1 she opened with:

"Have you gained weight?"

I was able to reply with out blinking an eye...."Yes, I have gained some weight, I am pregnant."

That quieted her for a second.

Some background history, this is not the first time my boss has said this to me. For some reason she thinks it is ok to ask inappropriate questions, or make what I feel are inappropriate comments, that I would only allow my closest girlfriends to say and would get mad at my Mom if she said them.

For example:
I see you are having a bad hair day.
How old are you?
What size do you wear?
Have you gained weight?
You look like you have gained weight.

I could go on and on but for some reason I cannot remember more right now. I think I have blocked them from my memory especially since her bad hair comment was said to me when I was feeling overly emotional, full of ragging hormones, and almost sent me crying home. It didn't, but I did rant for a while with my girlfriends on IM and received all the appropriate..."I cannot believe she said that", and "bitch" comments. Made me feel much better.

Back to my original thought…
My boss was actually very cool with the news. Said that this is part of having women work for you and then went on and on about if I knew what sex I was having and that she hopes I have a girl, etc, etc. She was actually kinda excited. I was a little surprised. And, in conversation, she let me know that 2 other girls that had worked for her had taken 6 months maternity leave. This made me feel much better since that was the amount of time I was targeting but didn’t want to seem too aggressive in asking for it. Now, you know I will! I was talking with my husband this morning and decided that it is probably easier to come back early rather then to ask for more leave once out.

So, the cat’s outta the bag. Since my stomach is poking its way out too I guess my timing was right on. According to my boss, I am getting huger by the minute (ok day…ok, still over exaggerating…..week).

No comments: